Bringing Home the Trek

August 1998

On Monday July 27th we flew out to Portland, Oregon loaded with three suitcases, to pick up our new Safari TREK RV on Tuesday morning July 28. Actually, the factory people came to pick us up at the hotel. We checked out the RV on the 15 minute ride back to the factory and for the next two hours did a walk and crawl about. Most everything was in tip top order. They forgot to put on the rear ladder and the seat belts on the couch, but these things were quickly corrected along with leveling the pool table and the hot tub in the basement!! We took the factory tour in the afternoon to see how the Safariís are made. Besides picking up our hotel bill, Safari had made paid reservations for us at a nearby campground only a few miles away where we unpacked and organized our "stuff". We had earlier retrieved the two boxes we had shipped to the factory and everything was finally put away. The RV is beautiful, roomy, and comfortable! Totally awesome!!

On Wednesday morning, we had to have some touchup painting done which took a couple hours. We were on our way TREKKING north by 10:30 am headed for the Portland Oregon Zoo . We were meeting Kathy Kenyon, who is a volunteer at the zoo, for a red carpet tour. We were also able to talk with the orang utan keeper, Dave Thomas, about Chang the orang from the Washington National zoo. The 6 year old orang has acclimatized well and is accepted by Inji (38 year old wild born) and Batik (10 year old born at Brookville zoo). We had a delightful tour of the zoo seeing the koalas (on temporary loan), elephants, penguins, and other primates. Portland does quality work with their flowers and especially roses.

We stayed just north of Portland for the night at a RV park and on Thursday headed toward Hartstene Island where Dick (Carolynís brother) and his wife, Christine, were vacationing. We arrived there about noon and their daughter, Susan, was there too. This was a cloudy day, but we went swimming in the afternoon after a walk around this lovely island in the Puget Sound area. Dick and Christine rented a one-bedroom house, the normal one they get each year was rented for several months, so they were in a smaller house. Their other daughter, Barbara, and her husband, Lars, and their daughter, Anna also arrived on Friday morning staying the weekend. Walking, swimming, and eating are the orders of the day. On Saturday, the rest of the family -- Tom, Cindy, Elizabeth and Jonathon arrived for the day. The whole family was there. We swam in the afternoon, as the weather was a crystal clear hot day. Naturally, everyone got a tour of the RV, the kids climbed on the magic bed, and breakfast was served in the RV to all on Friday morning. On Sunday, we awoke to another beautiful day and decided that we should go along with the weather and head out and see Mount St. Helens, an hour drive south.

The drive over to the mountain was beautiful. We got a campsite at Silver Lake, just off of the interstate in the early afternoon. We drove to the very end of the road at milepost 53, Johnston Ridge Overlook. Johnston was one of the geologists who died in the eruption in 1980. We had a beautiful afternoon sun shining on the mountain, which made for beautiful pictures! The drive out to the Ridge was gorgeous and we finally had dinner at 8 pm. On Monday morning, we spent several hours at the visitor center, which told the whole story of the eruption. The slide show and movie were very spectacular. We collected mountains of information about volcanoes.

Columbia River Gorge

On to the Columbia River Gorge---We drove south to Portland and then east on the Oregon side of the Columbia River. Stopped to take pictures and enjoyed the river vistas. We drove on the winding old Oregon Trail (Route 30) that parallels interstate route 84. Later, we would understand more of the trials and tribulations of the early pioneers who came west on the Oregon Trail. Multnomah Falls, a 620-foot falls, vistas and viewpoints were spectacular. Of course, now the river has eight dams along its waterway to eliminate many of the treacherous rapids and make the river safe for commercial boat traffic. Barges can travel all the way from the Pacific Ocean up to Idaho along the Columbia and Snake rivers. Again-- the day was beautiful and hot. We wanted to stop at the Bonneville Dam, but the dam was temporarily closed to visitors, but we saw the Bonneville locks and the locks at Cascade. At Multnomah Falls, we talked to the information people and got a good suggestion for the nightís camp. We headed south around Mt. Hood to Trillium Lake Campground. This is a National Forest Service Park and was just completed last year. The park is located to the south of Mt. Hood, so the evening pictures of the sun on the mountain were fantastic. Talking to the hosts for the campground, they indicated that Mt. Hood had an evacuation of skiers that day because of the high level of sulfur and that Mount St. Helens had several tremors!! Oh goodie we need to know where the quickest escape route is.

On Tuesday morning, we awoke early and finished our clockwise, 100-mile, circumnavigation of Mt. Hood. First, we drove just a few miles and up over 3,000 more feet to Timberline Lodge, built by the WPA and the second ski area to open in the US. Many people were carrying their skies and heading for the summer skiing. Traveling through Zigzag, Rhododendron, and other small towns, we completed the circle tour and stopped at the Columbia River Gorge Hotel at 11 am for their wonderful country breakfast. Five courses fruit, baked apple/apple fritter, oatmeal with fresh berries, eggs/trout/pork/bacon/baking soda muffins with honey, and the final course (if you could fit the dessert in the tummy) were buttermilk pancakes. Great breakfast!! We limped out of the hotel and climbed aboard the RV and headed along I-84 stopping at the Discovery Center in Dalles. This is a great museum relating the formation of the Columbia River Gorge. The gorge was formed by a series of great floods caused by the ice age blocking the Columbia River at the Snake estuary. The water backed up behind the ice and formed a huge lake, Lake Missola (depending on who discusses the history the correct name is either Lake Missola or Lake Bonneville). When the ice melted, the lake flowed downstream at huge heights (In some cases over 2,000 feet) carving out the valley and finally coming to the sea at Portland at a height of several hundred feet! This visitorís center is well worth a visit. Unfortunately, when we left we found we couldnít get into the RV!! The door side of the RV was parked in the sun and something happened (expansion) to the lock and we could not open the door. We had to call a locksmith, fortunately one was in the town of Dalles. What actually happened is that the lock couldnít retract unless you lifted the door a little bit! We need to keep a screwdriver outside to lift the door until we solve the problem. There is another door lock so we have been using that. After this experience, we climbed aboard and headed for Pendleton, Oregon where we would spend the night. We camped at a small place on the east side of the town. At least, in the 100-degree weather, we had electricity to run the AC all night.

Oregon and Idaho

Wednesday morning found us up and out by 8 am to stop at the Pendleton Woolen mills to "shop" and take the tour. The tour was interesting, but the entire process is not done here. At least we got some Christmas shopping done. Heading east on I-84, we stopped at the Oregon Trail Interpretive Center, a National Historic Site, near Baker. This was a wonderful and very informative center on the trials and tribulations of the pioneers trekking (We seem to use the word trek more in our everyday conversation.) on the Oregon Trail. What difficulties they surmounted, from rocky trails, rapids on the river, disease and death, Indians, heat, rain, mud, etc. One out of eight died. Many were going to Oregon City, so they could claim their free land, but what a difficult passage. The trail follows up and over hills, rocks, ravines, etc. Long vistas from the plateau toward the Blue Mountains and the Sawtooth ranges. We drove on to Mountain Home where there is an Air Force Base and camped there for the night. We enjoyed dinner at the Officers Club and a great campground with occasional airplanes taking off to defend us.

On Thursday, August 6th, we left the Air Force Base and headed southwest toward the Snake River and Bruneau Sand Dunes. These sand dunes are the tallest single structured sand dunes in North America at 470 feet tall. There are two main dunes that you can view. The area is quite dramatic with the canyons formed by the Snake River and then the Dunes. With all of the stops, the trip took us most of the morning to do about 100 miles. This southwestern section of Idaho is quite scenic and we could wander around here for another week just viewing all the canyons, monuments, and historic sites.

Poor John this is haying season out here in Idaho and Johnís nose knows!!

Back on Interstate 84 (which follows the Oregon Trail backwards from Portland), we arrived in Twin Falls about 1 pm and crossed the Perrine Bridge, which spans the Snake River Gorge at a height of 486 feet. The bridge is 1,500 feet long. Down in the gorge there is a flat plain, which is home to two golf courses. A mile east is where Evil Knievel attempted to jump the Snake River in 1974. He failed and wasnít hurt. Five miles east of town are the Niagara Falls of the west. The Snake River plunges 212 feet at Shoshone Falls. The falls are spectacular in the spring, but in summer the water is held back for irrigation so only a trickle comes over the falls. The formation of the gorge along the Snake River was also caused by the Bonneville flood of a million years ago. The gigantic ancient lake called Lake Bonneville or Missola covered a large part of northern Utah, most of Montana and parts of southern Idaho. Some 30,000 years ago the lake broke out south of Pocatello to create one of the greatest floods known in the world. Almost a cubic mile of water crashed into the Snake River at Pocatello and rushed down the canyon until the water got to a point where the canyon was too narrow. The river overflowed and spread out overland into a narrow trough called the Rupert Channel. The two arms of the flood met on the river at Shoshone Falls.

On to Idaho Falls for the night. We arrived about 4:30 and camped in the KOA and an ice cream party of all you can eat for $1!! We need to be in Butte, Montana tomorrow afternoon but Butte is only about 175 miles away. Most days, we have been averaging about 200-300 miles. There is a lot to see and a lot of territory to cover.

On Friday morning, August 7, we stopped at Tautphaus Park, a small but quality zoo in Idaho Falls. Their collection includes penguins, tamerins, DeBazza monkeys, lemurs, snow leopard, lions, and tiger. Their level 3 enclosures were small, but nicely done for each of the animals except the primates who were in level 2 type enclosures.


We left Idaho Falls and headed for Butte, Montana. The countryside is very barren with rolling lowlands stretching toward the mountains. We crossed a pass at 6,000+ feet. Not many towns or civilization are in these parts. Small towns with just a couple buildings exist along the interstate. We arrived in Butte about 4:30 and the initial view was de jevuí, since Butte looked exactly like the Scranton/Mayfield/Jermyn area of Pennsylvania! The town is built on the hillside with mine heads and mining pits all around. We met the Butte cousins, Leigh Ann and Bill and their two children, Katie and Holly (5 & 4) and parked in their complex for the weekend. The weekend was full with family memories, visiting the mining museum, Berkeley pit, the Copper Kings Mansion, and a family barbecue where we met Tom and Rita (Leighís parents), and her sister Deedee. We had visited with Eleanor (Leighís grandmother) on Friday night. She remembered the visit of Johnís parents in the 60ís when her husband was still alive.

Monday morning August 10th, we were off to Boseman, MT after an hour at the Butte archives where John wanted to look up some data. Boseman is the home of the American Computer Museum and the Museum of the Rockies. The computer museum is one of two in the US (donít know where the other one is located) and traces the development of communication and the computer from early Phoenician days to modern day. The museum related the contributions of key people such as Jacquard, Hollerith, Ada Byron (daughter of Lord Byron the writer), Grace Hooper, Intel developers of the integrated chip, and many others. The Museum of the Rockies has a great display on dinosaurs. Many sites of dinosaur bones and egg clutches have been found in the Montana area. The museum also traces the development of the geological formations that caused the uplifting of the Beartooth mountain range here in Montana. We continued on to Big Timber where we camped at the Spring Creek Camp and Trout Ranch that is right on the Boulder River. The views out our front window right into the creek Ėno curtains this time-was delightful way to wake up. The camp has a trout hatchery and allows you to fish for their/your troutÖthey will fillet what you catch.

Tuesday August 11th we headed on a beautiful ride down toward the Beartooth Mountains via route 78 from Columbus to Red Lodge. This is the area where Robert Redford made the movie "Horse Whisperer"ójust 17 miles from where we camped last night was the ranch in the picture. The mountain range is spectacular. If we continued into the mountain range, we would end up in Yellowstone Park where we were in 1968.

Further east in Billings, we wanted to look for a place to connect the computer to send our email. What a task! Stopped at the information center and they were willing, but the phone wasnít. We headed to the library they had no facility for this activity. Finally, we found the Internet Café that served coffee/goodies and had computers to browse the internet. I asked if I could connect my laptop and send my email since Billings was only 1 of 2 Montana cities that had local Juno phone numbers. No problem!! The campground last night would let us send email if we had an 800 number. Juno shut down their 800 number last year.

We drove on to Little BigHorn and camped at the Indian reservation campground. This is a real "basic" campground. In fact, we didnít realize, but the main railroad line is just behind the campground! However, the next morning we realized that the sound didnít bother us at all with the dual pane windows. Traffic noise, as we drive down the highway, is also nil. We toured the battlefield and heard the stories behind the battle and what led up to the battle. The Indians were certainly in a lose-lose situation, since the government gave them only 30 days to return to the reservation, and that was during heavy snow. They couldnít possibly travel 400 miles within 30 days. Custer wasnít such a great leader he didnít believe his scouts who said there were lots of Indians in the valley and he split up his forces. Another bit of information we saw at the Crazy Horse monument was that Custer had been demoted and was supposed to be on his way back to DC for court martial when he engaged the Indians. The entire battlefield is now on the Crow reservation.

Wyoming and South Dakota

We continued our drive south to Wyoming and arrived in Deadwood, South Dakota for the evening. Calamity Jane, Wild Bill Hickok, Potato Creek Johnny, Jack McCall (murderer of Wild Bill Hickok) are some of the personalities that jumps to mind when you mention the wild, wild, West and Deadwood. Deadwood is a national historic site and is nestled in a V-shaped valley. Main Street is composed of saloons and former bordellos until 1980 that have been updated with gaming tables and slots and restaurants. Food is good and cheap, especially beef. Gambling is low scale with many nickel and quarter slots and $2 minimum tables. Just up the mountain valley from Deadwood is Lead, the home of the Homestake Gold mine, which is still operating today. We camped at the KOA just outside of town for two nights and they provided bus transportation into town. On Thursday, August 13th, we drove down to Hill City where we took the 1880-steam train ride from Hill City to Keystone. We then visited the Chief Crazy Horse Monument, which has been under construction for 50 years. We first visited this site in 1968, when they had just blown the hole under the arm. The family finished and dedicated the face on June 6, 1998. The face is large enough to put all of the faces on Mt Rushmore on Chief Crazy Horseís face. Korczak Zoilkowski was the force behind this immense work. He died in 1982 and his wife and 10 children have continued. Estimates are that another 50 years will be needed to finish the three dimensional in-the-round sculpture of the mountain.

Close to the Deadwood area is Sturgis South Dakota. Sturgis is the site of the annual Harley Motorcycle rally and 1998 was the 58th year for the rally. This year, they had over 382,000 registrants!!! Timing is everything thank goodness we werenít in the Black Hills area from Aug 3-9 or there would have been NO place to stay!! The merchants all around the Black Hills area love the rally for the motorcyclists spend lots of money.

During this whole time since we left home, we have been trying to sell our rental house at Linganore. Wouldnít you know, we have a contract on the house as of this week and needed to fax information back and forth!! The KOA campground accommodated us and we were able to receive the 14 pages and sign and fax back the necessary ones.

Friday, we drove to Rapid City and stopped at the Museum of Geology at the South Dakota School of Mines and Technology. They have a good collection of dinosaur bones. On to Ellsworth Air Force Base outside of Rapid City, where we discovered an open house and air show to be held on Saturday. Naturally, we stayed two nights so we could stroll around all the airplanes and watch the jets, F-117 stealth fighter, several B-1B bombers, a B-52H and a C-5A along with the Armyís Golden Knights parachute team and other flight demonstrations. The day was hot just like all the other days, but there at least was a breeze. In fact, the Golden Knights couldnít do their morning jump because of the high altitude winds. Dinner at the Officers Club and back to the campground completed the day. Nice sites and interesting people with whom to talk. There is a definite degree of difference between the campers at military campgrounds and commercial places. People wave as you enter and when you leave and come over and compare sea stories while you are there. Off on Sunday morning to Sioux Falls, the zoo, and the Wall Drug at Wall, SD. In Sioux Falls, we stayed at a campground just to the west of the city and close to the zoo. After a dip in their pool, dinner, and reading - time for bed.

On Monday, we visited the zoo and found that our FONZ membership card had just expired! Never leave home without your FONZ card!! The Great Plains Zoo is a quality little zoo. All the environments are level three. They have black-footed penguins, camels, bison, waterfowl, eagles, red-tailed hawks, Bengal tiger, and in the primate area they had 1 gibbon, 6 spider monkeys, 2 Diane monkeys, and several colobous monkeys. The zoo is integrated with a natural history museum with MANY stuffed animals. The complex is beside the monument to the US battleship South Dakota. The battleship was the most decorated battleship in WWII. This is a neat memorial in that the outline of the ship is "buried" with some parts of the original ship on exhibit. We saw a sign for the Gateway factory store just around the corner and stopped in to see what computer bargains they had. Well, John breathed a sigh of relief when we didnít walk out with one!!

The EROS (Earth Resources Observation Systems) reporting center is just outside of Sioux Falls and we stopped to take a tour of the facility. This is one of five centers in the US where all the unclassified satellite maps are received, reproduced, and distributed. EROS is part of the US Geological Surveyís National Mapping Division and is the worldís most extensive civilian repository of remotely sensed data on the Earthís land surface. They also operate an archive of more than eight million photographs taken from aircraft. We had a very interesting and personalized tour of the facility. After leaving the EROS, we headed north to Watertown (still in South Dakota) where we wanted to camp at the State Park right on the lake, Sandy Shores. Had a refreshing dip and John cooked dinner. Watertown is also home to the Bramble Park Zoo. Again another blue sky day about 90 degrees.


Tuesday morning was a late sleeping morning. Woke up to fog over the lake, but this soon burned off. The Bramble Park Zoo was a nice zoo featuring birds and waterfowl. They had baby llamas, wolves, white Bengal tiger, snow leopards, capuchin monkeys, spider monkeys, simangs, and squirrel monkeys. The bison environment was sharing the grounds with a large population of prairie dogs they were everywhere! All the primate and cat cages were level 2. We drove on to Minnesota via state route 7 and arrived at another cousinís residence at about 5 pm. Pat, his wife Beverly and their 4 daughters (Kelly, Kathy, Katelyn & Kirstin) have a beautiful home on the west side of Minneapolis. Pat is the VP of technical operations for via an Anderson consulting company. We had a lovely dinner with them, parked on the street for the night. On Wednesday we went down to the Como Park Zoo, St. Paul, Minneapolis. This zoo is free and has quality exhibits, especially the cat area where they have lots of room, trees and places to get off exhibit. The viewing area is from above Bengal tigers, a cougar, and 2 lions. There are six orang utans from 10-20 yrs old and they too have a very nice environment. We talked with a volunteer who told us all about the orangs. Headed back to the Patís and we took the family all out for dinner. Pat gave us a tour of downtown Minneapolis through heavy rain. Minneapolis has covered walkways between buildings connecting the 2nd floors so that, during the winter, they can get around easier. Thursday morning we left and stopped at the Minnesota Zoo, a huge park with an IMAX theater, monorail, coral reef, tropical rainforest and the traditional animals. The environments, level 3, are all huge and have many trees and ponds for the animals. The signage is not very good and the map of the zoo is difficult to interpret. The only primates they have are snow monkeys and there was not a sign about them at all. We left the zoo and headed south along the Mississippi River where the road follows the river and then crosses into Wisconsin at La Crosse. The Mississippi has many locks/dams and is quite wide in places. Surprisingly there are bluffs overlooking most of the river. We stopped at Frenchmanís Landing campground right on the river in Prairie du Chien, Wisconsin. The river, a railroad track, and the road border the campground. We NEVER saw a train the whole afternoon as we were driving beside the tracks, but as soon as we selected the campsite, along came the trains. I think there were at least one per hour or more. However, we werenít disturbed at night with the double pane windows and AC.


Friday, August 21, we headed for Chicago via the scenic route into Iowa and across Illinois via route 20 via Galena. We arrived in the Chicago area about 3 pm bad timing for the weekend traffic was heavy. We spent 2 Ĺ hours traveling from just near OíHara airport to the intersection of 94/55, which was 25 miles. We arrived at Paulís Aunt Claireís home and the driveway was perfect for the RV. Jennifer, Mat and Paul arrived around 7:30 and we headed out for pizza. The evening was warm and the whole weekend was quite hot. Jennifer left her car with us so we could drive to their home on Saturday morning for we all were going over to the water and air show on the shore of Lake Michigan. Packing lunch and drinks, we headed over to the area and parked ourselves in a perfect spot on the grass where we could see everything in the air show. This was also near the Lincoln Park zoo which Jennifer and Carolyn walked over to see some of the exhibits until the air show began. After the air show about 3:30 we went back and saw the gorilla exhibit then the rain started pouring. Jen and Paulís friends and we went to an Irish pub, Cullenís for dinner. Back to their home to play dominos, then our drive back to the RV.

On Sunday, Paul wanted to attend the 2nd day of the air show and Jen, Mat and we went to the Brookville Zoo, and Paulís sister Julie, and her family joined us. This is a very large zoo with excellent environments for the animals. We only were able to see the Primates, Living Ocean (penguins, jelly fish, other tropical fish), and the Swamp (egrets, ibis, turtles, alligator, bats) this zoo requires about three more days! The indoor primate exhibit was excellent. The building was built in 1978-80 and was one of the forerunners of open environments. People view the animals above them or mid-way looking down. The animals are separated from us by a deep moat (wet or dry) and the platform where they play has lots of tree like structures and swinging vines. Mandrills, squirrel monkeys, pygmy hippo were all in one exhibit. Three orang utans out of eight were on exhibit. One was a mother with her three-month-old (born in May) and another juvenile, which we never did see. The mother and offspring were Bornean. There were several docents around with whom we talked. They told us that in the mid 80ís an additional skylight had to be added to the building for they found that more sunlight was required. Apparently, the orangs secrete a chemical caused by the sunlight to keep them healthy. The gorillas, including two young ones (3 yrs old), are famous. A small boy fell into the exhibit and Binti (female) picked him up and took him over to the door and gave him to a keeper. They had been trained to present their offspring to allow the keepers to view them, so Binti did what she was trained to do, and of course the other gorillas allowed her. We could have spent much more time there, but wanted to leave Chicago in the afternoon and get on our way to the Dearborn, Michigan area.


We left Chicago about 3 pm and this time there was no traffic (compared to our arrival) on the freeway except for about ten miles in Indiana where there was construction. We decided to head straight for our friends, Marie and Russís home outside of Ann Arbor. We called them and said weíd be there about 9 pm. The mapping system took us directly to their home on the lakes around Whitmore Lake. After talking for awhile, they said they were a little concerned that we were lost since we didnít arrive until 10:30!! Here, we never saw or remembered that there is a time zone change right at the Michigan-Indiana border!! Marie is the Director of the Cancer Center at Michigan State University in Lansing and Russ is semi-retired optometrist working one day a week at two of his childrenís optometry office. Monday we went out on their patio boat for five hours and toured the lakes around their home. Their home sits right on the lake. Beautiful day for boating and swimming and the water was refreshing. A great dinner of dungeness crab cocktail (these were the people we met on our Alaska trip and shared the wonderful dinner of dungeness crabs one night on the boat), grilled salmon, fresh limas and corn and a sour lime mousse with mango, proved that Marie was also a gourmet cook.

On Tuesday, Marie went back to work and Russ took us over to the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn. We spent five hours at this wonderful museum tracing the development of the automobile, support systems for the car such as gas stations, guest cottages, motels; design changes; and advertising first to switch the public from the horse and buggy and then to appeal to the farmer, salesperson, women, and families. They also traced the changes in the home cooking, preserving, and general living. We didnít have time to see Greenfield Village, which is part of the complex, and is like Williamsburg. Another time. Back home, jumped in the lake to cool off then went out to a Mediterranean restaurant for dinner.

Ohio and Pennsylvania

Wednesday the 26th (our 35th anniversary!!) we left Ann Arbor and headed to Toledo Zoo, Ohio to see the zoo. An excellent zoo (this is our 9th zoo in 13 states so far on this trip) with 5 orang utans, 5 gorillas, colobus monkeys, DeBrazza and Diane monkeys. They just opened a new Primate Forest for the smaller primates and are working on a polar bear exhibit to open next summer. We talked with Suzy the keeper for the orangs. She had just finished feeding them their snacks and Boomer (9 yr old male) was tormenting the 23 year old female, Rusty, and she didnít like the tormenting. The youngest is Nana at 8 years old, Boomerís sister. These are Bornean orangs. The zoo also had a giraffe born on June 23rd. They have a neat underwater viewing area for the hippos and one appeared to be a youngster. White rhinos, elephants, cheetah, lion, an aquarium, reptile house, and rain forest were just the highlights. The old carnivore house, for lions, tiger, & gorillas, with the old type bars was turned into the café for visitors. The bars were left in place and made a neat dining area!

We left the zoo about 2:30 and headed for Zanesville, Ohio and our next zoo, the Wilds which we will visit on Thursday. The animals at the Wilds live in protected, open-range habitats. The Wilds covers 14 square miles of reclaimed surface mined land donated by the American Electric Power and its subsidiaries. So far in all the zoos we have visited, they have honored the FONZ membership and some even have given us discounts at their stores where I am buying a pin with the zoo name. We arrived in Zanesville KOA about 7 pm, had dinner, read and soon - time for bed. The Wilds, just 15 miles from Zanesville, is North Americaís "safari bus tour of the wilds" and is the largest wildlife preserve (10,000 acres). Camels, Indian and white rhinos, giraffes, bison, trumpet swans, Przewalski horses, scimitar-horned orynx, Jackson hartebeests, Hartmannís mountain zebra, and other herbivores live here. Tours are available from May to October and during the winter the animals are brought into protected enclosures. The safari bus ride is about 2 hours with stops as you come to animals.

Apparently Zanesville got hit with a terrible storm on Tuesday evening for many areas were flooded and trees were down. They said that prior to July 4th they had 3 storms dump 18 inches of rain in 3 days! Within view of the Wilds is the largest walking dragline and is noted to be one of the "Seven Wonders of Ohio" and was used by Ohio Power Co. to remove coal and restore thousands of acres to productivity. The 27 million pound machine weighs as much as 13,500 automobiles and produces 52,000 horsepower. The Big Muskie can be seen from quite a distance away. After leaving the Wilds we head toward Pittsburgh to show Aunt Marg our new TREK. We had dinner with her and Gertrude then headed home on Friday August 28. This was the last we saw of Aunt Marg as she died the following February when we were in Texas on another TREK.


States and Zoos Visited

  1. Oregon (Metro Washington Zoo, Portland)
  2. Washington (Woodland Park Zoo, Seattle)
  3. Idaho (Tautphaus zoo, Idaho Falls)
  4. Montana
  5. Wyoming
  6. South Dakota (Great Plains zoo, Sioux Falls; Bramble Park zoo, Watertown)
  7. Minnesota (Como zoo, St. Paul; Minnesota zoo, Minneapolis)
  8. Iowa
  9. Wisconsin
  10. Illinois (Lincoln Park zoo & Brookfield zoo, Chicago)
  11. Indiana
  12. Michigan
  13. Ohio (Toledo zoo; The Wilds, Zanesville)
  14. West Virginia
  15. Pennsylvania
  16. Maryland